GULAB BAGH UDAIPUR
Gulab Bagh is the largest garden in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. It is spread over 100 acres of land. The garden has innumerable varieties of roses. Gulab Bagh gets its name from the abundance of rose flowers it has.
Gulab Bagh, also known as Sajjan Niwas Garden, was constructed by Maharana fateh Singh in the 1887. It is the fourth oldest zoo in the half-continent. It spans across 66 acres of land, and is hailed as one of the most beautiful and big garden in Rajasthan.
SOME MORE ABOUT GULAB BAGH
Gulab Bagh is an old Sub-City Level Park, having abundent green campus and various places of attraction including ponds, library, zoological park, temples and various government offices and a large radius of Government work place like 2 forest offices, 2 PHED offices, 1 PWD office, 1 library etc. The park has 4 gates to enter, which are designed artistically as old masonry structure. Out of 4, only 2 gates are opened for public. There is valid parking facility available at 2 operational entry gates, and it can currently accommodate 350 two wheelers and 50 car parking in the park. The entire park is surrounded by a boundary wall, 3–5 meter in height and made of mix of concrete, stone and brick.
It was built by Maharana’s volition, a horticulturist from Madras, T.H. Story, was arranged in 1882 to stock the garden with plants with medicinal values on the 66.5 acres of land and worked there till 1920. The garden is considered of a Lotus Pond, and many prominent trees that included many species of mangoes, guava, grapes, lemon, bor, mulberry, rayan, pomegranate, bananas, sapota, tamarind etc. In the year 1882, all the trees have their name-plates indicating Hindi, English, and systematic botanical names, which are not as it is now. A small pond remained in the garden before it was demolished for the construction of Water works complex. In this pond a water lily, Victoria sp, was firstly planted. The leaf of Victoria could withstand a child on a chair had kept on it, a processions common to all the water-lilies of the genus due to plant’s structure.
The Garden draws it name as Gulab Bagh due to the appearence of a ranch where variety roses can be found in abundance. The garden was also called Bada Bagh but the name ecpelled out of popular use. It was inaugurated by Lord Lansdown. Mr. Gauri Shankar Ojha was the first creator of this museum appointed in the year 1890. The museum had many rare artefacts and stone documents dating from 3rd Centaury B.C. to 17th Centaury A.D.
British Prince Albert Victor reveal a stone statue of Queen Victoria on 19 February 1890, in front of Victoria Museum which has now been replaced with a statue of Mahatma Gandhi. Several Flower and Vegetable shows were arrenged in the Garden starting from the first one in 1888 by Maharana Fateh Singh. The zoo arrenge fights meant for entertainment between lions or tigers and wild boars. The zoo upon the fifth decade of its commencement contain plenty of rare species including animals like Black Leopards, Rhinos, Ostriches, Zebras, hoolock gibbons, etc. most of the animals were shifted to other zoos in India after Independence.